5 Tips to Get Your Employees to Fill Their Timesheets

We go to work to get paid. But how can you get paid when you fail to submit your timesheet?

This is what supervisors, accounting departments and even human resource professionals often ask themselves or their colleagues. And it makes perfect sense. The timesheet may seem antiquated, a relic of a bygone era of steel lunch containers, Benny Goodman music and manual timecards, but they are still alive and well in the workplace.

Offices have been finding ways to encourage their personnel to complete their timesheets and submit it on time before payroll is delivered. Sure, 90 percent of the staff are filling in their timesheets, but the other 10 percent are simply adding administration costs to your firm.

Well, don’t feel dejected. There are many modern techniques and ways you can get your team players to hand in their timesheets without any further delay or headache.

Here are five tips to get your staff to complete their timesheets:

1. Automated Reminders Will Help

Whether you maintain a weekly or bi-weekly pay schedule, it would be a great idea to institute automated reminders on the days leading up to the time paycheques are handed out.

For instance, if timesheets are requested on Thursday, then you should install automated reminders that notify the employee at the end of Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday that timesheets are due soon.

This saves on administration and does not require you to remember to remind everyone.

2. Make the Timesheets Simple

If timesheets are too complicated to fill in, then employees will be apprehensive and neglectful about completing the timesheets. They’ll procrastinate and delay it until the final moment.

You can prevent this from happening by making the timesheets simpler to complete.

Here are some tips to consider about timesheets:

  • Ensure it only takes about five minutes to complete.
  • Allow the timesheet submission process to be rudimentary.
  • Limit the number of codes and tasks on timesheets.
  • Use the 0.25=15 minutes rather than to-the-minute numbers (see below).

By employing these measures, you will have the greatest timesheet ever made.

3. Clearly Explain Why It’s Important

You can either verbally communicate to everyone why it’s important to fill in the timesheet. Or, you can have a note in bolded capital letters at the top of your timesheet to highlight why it’s crucial to both complete a timesheet and to hand it in.

4. Don’t Use the Reward/Penalty System

By adding another layer to your timesheet with a reward/penalty system will only further complicate matters. Simply put: don’t utilize this type of system.

5. Flexibility is Key to Timesheets

Offices may be hesitant about being flexible with timesheets, but this is the only way to have effective time management, higher productivity and, yes, superb timesheets.

With a certain level of flexibility, you won’t have staffers constantly paying attention to the clock or coming up with clever methods to have extra breaktime.

Again, taking advantage of the 0.25=15 minutes method rather than counting every second or minute will produce excellent results. For instance, if you work from 9 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., then the timesheet would be 3.25 hours (or whatever tasks and codes were done during this time).